Monday, 20 April 2009

April 20, 2009

The interview at the National Trust went really well- they offered me the position of Volunteer Community Warden, and I'm not entirely sure what that means. :) I just wanted to do some gardening work, but they needed a person to help liase with the various special needs groups that come in. When I told them I was a photographer they were thrilled, because they want photos of the groups and things. Anyway I decided to go for it, as it's only 2 hours at a time, and it gives me an in into National Trust. It already meant that today I could go out to Anglesey Abbey, open the gate myself, come on in, and treat things like my home. Needless to say I loved it. :) As a side note, Anglesey Abbey is one of the manor house estates here in Cambridge.


I get to help coordinate the groups that are doing work there. Plus I have leave to go anywhere on the grounds that I want, and take photos of anything, AND do any kind of weeding that I feel like! What a deal! Today I spent 2 hours riding around on the back of a 4 wheeler with a crazy Welsh guy driving over mole hills to flatten them down, over fields and through the woods and everywhere. Then I went to see the beautiful tulips that are growing under the white birch trees...it smelled so good, and was so beautiful that I stayed out there 2 hours, doing some photographing and a LOT of weeding. The staff were a bit surprised to find me weeding their flower beds, but they were happy for the help. :) Honestly, on a beautiful sunny day, lovely open good scented 6 inch high cute little tulips just need someone to hover over them and pull the weeds. That was my feeling anyway. :)

We've been doing a lot of biking here now that we've moved into town. Pr for our safety- honestly at times I felt safer in Cambodia than I do cycling on the roads here. I hate road cycling- if it wasn't so slow walking I'd walk instead. Anyway it saves us money on gas and parking and it's healthy, so although I don't like the roads I do it anyway. We ALWAYS wear helmets, and have very good reflectors and lights, so we're about as safe as we can be. After cycling up a big hill twice yesterday, then spending today out gardening, I'm pretty exhausted.

I'll be testing the iPhone blog post feature here soon. I can take photos with my iPhone (which I just got last week) and post them to the blog from wherever I happen to be. Once I get that figured out I'll post random images from wherever I happen to be just for the fun of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment