I spent Tuesday and Thursday out at Anglesey Abbey helping with the eco loo, digging, more digging, a bit of engineering, more digging, mixing soil, and more digging. :) In fact when I look down at my forearms as I type this they look huge (for me anyway!) and I feel fantastic from 2 days of hard labor outside in the sun. I love the outdoors- there's nothing as satisfying as good hard work outside. Sounds funny coming from someone who chose to study engineering, and currently running a photography business- seems like I chose the wrong professions eh? :) I chose engineering for my mind's sake- I wanted a mental challenge, and I got it, and grew through it. But I knew in my last year of school that working inside just wasn't for me. I was thinking back today to those tests they have you take in like 7th grade to determine what sort of work would be good for you, and mine came up as construction worker. :) I was insulted at the time- I thought what a boring job! But now I see the wisdom of that test- I LOVE construction work, and I love gardening and landscaping. So I'm blessed to have my own business and be able to schedule in time for digging, tree trimming, and whatever needs to be done. Being outside and helping other people is like heaven to me- does it get any better than that?
Back to the eco loo. :) The loo is NOT totally done yet- alas! We had 2 Goldman Sachs groups out this week- one Tuesday and one Thursday, and even with myself and the community warden digging like mad (I was like 4 of them and he was like 2 of me) we still couldn't finish. The collection bit is in the ground and almost done, but the toilet bowl and the enclosed part aren't. We'll be carrying on next week. :)
I pulled an all-nighter Thursday night in order to finish some photos for a job that had to be to them Friday morning. I edited photos from 8pm to 5am. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, although with each passing hour I could feel my brain getting foggier and less able to be as precise as I'd have liked. But I knew I could still finish it- in fact I had to, and deadlines like that always challenge me to pull out every ability that I have in order to finish the job well and on time. More on that in another blog actually. :) If I never see a 1 inch screw at 3ft size (that's the equivalent in photoshop) I'll be happy. :) I managed to grab 3 hours sleep before I was off to another shoot, and another one after that. G was a saint and delivered the CDs to my client for me Friday morning to buy me a bit more sleep- I was so very grateful! :)
I had intended to take today off completely- after that all nighter Thursday I figured I could use a break...but here I am in front of the computer playing with my new camera (which a friend brought back from NYC for me!!!) and thinking about business and the looming need to upgrade to CS4 so that I can read the photo files on my new camera...and needing some other equipment to use the video function on it...and if I use the video I'll need a new computer....what an expensive business. Expanding the business will be good for me because I can start delegating out jobs and processing to other people. I've already had to hire a virtual personal assistant (Virtual PA it's called here) to help me with card scanning, invoicing, and paperwork.
It's almost 3pm and I've been trapped inside all day- I really think it's time to get outside and finish all this lot on Monday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment