I couldn't resist the temptation to blog about the experience we just had getting down to this Travelodge, even if I can't post it until I get back. So we chose a Travelodge that was reasonably close to the airport, via the Underground. What we didn't consider is that we might end up in a not so good part of London. It's not bad here, really. In fact there are car dealerships and things here, nice ones, and there are no bars on the windows like in Detroit. But when we got off at the Park Royal stop and came up out of the Underground and saw 2 resident policemen that should have been a stronger indication than it was. I just thought it was increased security for the holidays. :) Anyway the Travelodge is only 200 yards away, how bad can it be, right?
What they failed to tell us was that the Travelodge is on the other side of a divided highway from the Underground stop...and the cross over point is half a mile down. We couldn't just run across, and believe me I had that thought, but there was a nice big fence to keep people from doing just that. So we started walking with our 2 suitcases, backpacks, and obvious electrical equipment. It got slightly seedier gradually as we walked, and we had to walk past and through some seedy groups of people, who praise Gd didn't give us any problems, but I didn't feel easy until we were in front of this Vauxhall dealership with all it's shiny new cars. It being at this point 9:30pm and foggy as anything and occasionally seeing hooded men way far back behind us added to the atmosphere. :) Seriously if someone had mugged us they would have made off with quite a stash- with our 2 laptops and my camera at least. It really wasn't as bad as parts of Detroit that I've been in.
Anyway we made it to the Travelodge, and the Receptionist had to let us into our room, which is special because someone broke a key off in it and it hasn't been fixed yet. :) Outside our window (we're on the 4th floor) is the Red line of the Underground, although I haven't heard any trains for at least an hour so maybe there's no service now.
Given all this, we decided to get a taxi the rest of the way to Heathrow. :) Our room is pretty nice overall- much nicer than many I've stayed in, and reasonably quiet. We'll be glad to be home though that's for sure. :) Unfortunately I left my cell phone at home (very disappointing) so I can't take any pictures to post up here just yet.
G just jokingly said I should put "We took a picture of us getting mugged but the guy stole our camera." We can joke about it now that we're safe in our room. :) I don't think we were in any actual danger at any point, but it was still creepy.
6 hours of sleep until the taxi picks us up! At least we can sleep on the plane. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment