Wednesday, 28 May 2008

May 28, 2008

Whew- we have finally made it back to Swavesey after an awesome O week, a great drive back from Kansas, and a whirlwind 2 days visiting family and friends. We made it back home in record time- our flight out was on time, and we arrived just in time for both our trains, putting us in Cambridge at 1:15pm, which is amazing since our flight arrived at 9:40am.

It's good that we made such good time, because we had a little surprise waiting for us when we got here. We opened the door, and both of us were like, "Wow, it feels really damp in here!" It's rained the past 3 days here, very hard, so we thought that was it. Well after we got everything in we discovered that our little hallway between the living room and the kitchen was 3 inches deep in water. Fortunately we have stone floors, and the hallway is lower than the other 2 rooms, so it was like a little lake. :) It was dripping from the ceiling, and we ran upstairs to the bathroom but couldn't find the leak, although the floor up there was quite wet too. Anyway we had to call the landlady, who called a plumber, who came and declared that our toilet had been dripping. Fortunately for us it was only dripping for a short time- praise the Ld because there wasn't much damage. Apparently they use leather gaskets- that's right, leather! And the gasket shrank because we'd been gone, and it started leaking. Anyway we got that all cleaned up. I'll be getting photos up here shortly from the past 2 weeks.

We haven't been back 4 hours and I already found a giant house spider- the biggest one to date. I feel like I say that every time, but I have photo proof that the bigger ones seem to be appearing. Anyway this one was a female and was HUGE. She was hiding on my door curtain which we use to keep out the draft- the curtain got wet, and I think she may have had a web in the corner that was under water, so she fled for safety.

We just picked Nelly up and although the cattery tells me she had a very good time, she's still happy to be home. It's raining again here, and it's the busy time at Tesco so we're holding off getting food until later. I really wish there was a Whole Foods or Trader Joes or somewhere like that here. :) I hope you all had a good Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment