Wednesday, 13 August 2008

August 13, 2008

In international work you sometimes come across a person who is on a mission to discover the truth. These folks are the ones who are chasing after you, seeking you out to study the bbl with them, reading the bbl on their own, asking questions, and generally just after the real truth. We met 2 Japanese folks, a married couple, who are like that. 3 months ago the wife, K, was very keen to take the CE course, and her husband was reading the CE course book after each class and asking her questions about it! After the course ended G and I started meeting with both of them, and they have both decided that they would like to follow JC. They came to that conclusion entirely on their own after seeking for themselves and studying the bbl, and honestly we feel like we had very little part to play except just being around to answer questions. Anyway, in the process we've gotten to be good friends with them over the course of this last month, and will be very sad when they return to Japan next Tuesday. But we're excited for them and the decision they've made, and are trying to help them to find some other C's in their home city. Please be lifting that up if you would- there are not many C's in Japan, but there are a vast number of cults, and they are worried (us too) about finding some people there. I know Gd will provide, but still I've seen people who go back to their home country and can't find any other followers who simply give up. So please pr for K and T.

Besides that exciting news I've been continuing to work on my website, and also doing volunteer freelance work for some friends here. Yesterday I took photos at a 4th birthday party, and on Sunday I took some portraits for a friend who is publishing her first book and needs an author photo for the back. Good stuff. I'm also still working on making groups of 10-15 images for various locations we've traveled. It's harder than it sounds to make a cohesive unit of images that tells the story of the place you visited. I've also been looking into cheaper ways to get into London so I can do more extensive photography there, and managed to find a cheaper train route plus a discount railcard which round trip costs $18. That sounds like a lot, but the usual cost is $48 (for a 45 min train ride!), so it's a pretty significant savings. And honestly I don't like London that much that I'd want to go in more than twice a year if I'm paying $48 to do it. :) No matter what people tell you, the UK public transit is very expensive and not as economical as simply driving. :) London is in fact the 3rd most expensive city in the world to live in- #1 is Moscow, #2 I forgot, #3 is London. It is much more expensive to live in London than New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC....any city anywhere in the US is cheaper than London.

Speaking of London, I decided to email the organization that runs that graffiti wall near the Waterloo station, the one I put photos of on the blog. I'm hoping they'll tell me some other locations where I can take photographs. I also offered to send them digital copies of the art that I've taken photos of if they'd like them. No pressure really, I'm just hoping to create a portfolio of street art, and London is a good place to do it. And if I know there are sanctioned areas that have been approved, where this organization has assigned a certain artist to paint, then I can be safer about photographing graffiti areas and get more variety of shots. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

The weather has been dreadful here- it's rained most of the day every day for weeks, and although we do get a few hours of sun, it's never over 70F. I love hot weather, so I'm not really enjoying the cold "summer" here. I hope you're enjoying the warm weather there, and not being roasted alive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment