G and I had a great time in the Peak District, enjoying 2 nights away and some peace and quiet. if you know where to go the Peak District can be wonderfully quiet and "unspoilt" as they like to say here in Britain. :) Peaceful quiet farming villages, streams, forests, hills, and friendly people with local specialty foods. I was sad to miss Eyam, which is famously known as The Plague Village because in August 1665 the plague arrived in their village and instead of all running off they decided to contain the spread of the outbreak by not leaving the village. 246 people from 76 families died- it wiped out entire families. But because of their bravery they spared northern England from the plague. Those sorts of incidents remind me of the willingness to sacrifice and the forethought they had in acting so quickly. Today is the celebration of that event, and in Eyam they are having memorial services to remember those families from 334 years ago who died saving so many others.
The sun has started setting so early here- it's 7:30pm and it'll be dark in half an hour. The leaves are changing colors too, and it feels like summer skipped us entirely. At least the winters are mild here. :) I'll be getting some photos up from the trip here soon. I finished my promotional materials for the business luncheon on Wednesday, and I hope I will generate some new clients from all this hard work! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment