Thursday, 4 September 2008

September 4, 2008

Wow, what a week! It has been hard work for me this week, getting that promotional card done to give to ladies at the luncheon, working on the website, cleaning the house (thoroughly) for some people who were coming to visit, and the laundry, and dinner with friends....very full socially. First, the update on the luncheon.

Rejoice with me- the luncheon went great! I feel like a real businesswoman now! Seriously, this was a huge step for me to take, to actually go out looking for business and generate it via networking. But I felt like now that we're settled in here it's a good time to get after it. I enjoy volunteering my services, but I'd like to really learn about the business ropes of things here, so that when we get overseas I'll have some experience with it. I'm not afraid of reasonable risk, so I made the promo cards, I dressed like a UK business woman, and I signed up for this luncheon. Can I just say that it was really refreshing to meet other women who are in business for themselves, and just chat with them? I felt like I made some very good connections, not just business wise, but also for potential friendships. But on the business side, several women recommended to me that I ask the woman who plans these events about offering a quick portrait session at one of the luncheons, because that's a service that a lot of women would like, and they don't have the time to do a special session with a photographer. So I asked her, and it looks like we're going to set it up for November! So now I have a whole new set of things to prepare- I would like to have some demo books for people to browse, of my work, while they wait for their portrait slot, which means making like 4 or 5 books. Just that one day, even if I just charge like 10 pounds, that's like 300 pounds in one day!! Whoa. Well now I know an accountant who can help me do my taxes- I met one at the luncheon. :)

Besides the portraits, I'm also meeting with a woman who makes purses out of old banners, and she needs some photos of her products. And one of the women I met wants me to photograph her childrens' birthday parties in March. So this is all good news for me. :) I felt like this luncheon was an experiment, a 15 pound investment, and if it didn't pay off I'd just not go again. But I will definitely but these in my schedule and go every month from now on. Honestly I think photography for women business owners is an untapped market- most photographers are men, and most only want to do weddings and events.

Well enough about the luncheon. :) Here are my promo cards- I didn't put photos on them because I didn't want to be type cast into a certain photographer role. Which turned out to be the best idea, because many women liked the list of what I do, and recent projects.

This is the front of the "postcard." They're postcard sized, but meant to use as hand outs. I created these myself in Photoshop.


Here is the back. On the left I listed the types of things that I do (there's a strong stereotype here that photographers only do weddings, and I needed to make it clear what I am offering) and on the right I listed recent projects that I've done, to give them an idea. I put more weight on small business sort of projects, and things that appeal to women, like photo retouching and birthday parties for their kids.

If you want one let me know and I'll send it- these aren't very high res images because they'd take too long to upload. :)

It's Fall here now- which Brits call Autumn. If I say Fall, they have no idea what I mean. :) Anyway the leaves are turning and falling, and it's getting cold outside. All new chances for interesting photography. This Saturday our International Team is meeting for some training and planning, and next week the ladies' study will start, and our iBASE (that's 18-24's who are nannies or language students) will start as well. Bounce A Round, the group for moms of preschoolers, will start also, and I will be going to that to try to meet international moms. It should be interesting I think. But I hope to be less busy so I can do more photography projects this year. We're also in the midst of planning 2 trips- one at the end of the month to southern France, and one in November to Tromso, which is north of the Arctic Circle, to see the Aurora Borealis at the best time of year to view (and photograph) it. Since we don't intend to be in the UK forever we're trying to squeeze in lots of trips and things while we can. :)

I hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend- we don't have Labor Day here, so it was a pretty plain weekend. I miss the long weekend and warm summers in Michigan! It's still cold here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment