One of the projects that sort of hit the back burner was applying for a UK provisional driver's license (which they spell as licence in case you're interested.) We bought a manual car, and even if we manage to get our US licenses exchanged for Canadian and then into UK we can still only drive an automatic. In any case, just in case that doesn't work I'm starting the process for the provisional license-you have to complete the licensing system here before your 12 months is up, and let me tell you it is a LONG and complicated system.
First off, it doesn't matter that I've been driving for almost 13 years now- you simply can't exchange a US license for a UK one. Period. The UK system involves the following:
1. Application for a provisional license, where you have to go and get your own photo taken at one of those random booths, have a person who has known you for 2 years and been a UK resident for 2 years (and not a relative) sign the back of your photo and on this form as proof of your identity. All of that gets sent off to the DVLA office. They send your license and passport back.
2. You have to take a written test which they call the "theory" test.
3. At the same time as the theory test you have to take a visual Hazard Perception test.
4. Only after you've gone through all of the above can you begin the driving lessons which are basically standard, and although not required the instructor will grade you more harshly if you don't take them. Most people take something like 10 lessons of 2 hours each.
5. Sign up to take the license driver's test, where only 60% of people pass. The test includes backing around a corner and some other unusual aspects of driving.
I wish I could agree with the British folks who say that this testing makes the roads safer, but unfortunately that is not the case. Because once you have a license you have it for life- you never need to retake anything, renew, or anything else. That basically sets up a system where people drive however they feel like after they get the license. I've ridden with many drivers here and some are just not safe drivers at all.
Since we're coming back for Marc and Adrienne's wedding in April I have to get this stuff sent out and sent back (they claim they'll return your passport in 10 days) so I can have the passport to come back for the wedding. I've taken some sample theory tests and they're no problem, and the hazard perception isn't an issue I think if you're an experienced driver. So I'm aiming to get those things out of the way before I come back in April, leaving only the driving lessons (which is the most expensive part) in case I can't swing the Canadian system either. But if I have to take lessons I'll probably just take 2 or 3 to learn what they are expecting for the test (such as putting your emergency brake which they call the "hand brake" on every single time you stop at an intersection or anything else.)
I just got back from Arena (I wrote everything previous to this this morning) and we had an excellent conversation about grace and works, and S decided to follow JC! Thanks for your prs- pr for him now that he'd be able to meet with someone until the next C Life course starts up next term (in a few weeks.) L is understanding more and wanting to read the bbl more herself, and we had a new girl a C from the underground ch in China, which was exciting. I'll be meeting one and one with her I think in the next few weeks.
G says hello, and although very tired is getting some work done and meeting folks there at his office in Redmond.
No comments:
Post a Comment