As most of you know, I was in Michigan for a week celebrating my parents' birthdays (and mine) and trying to see as many people as I could in that short time. Clinton is 45min south of where we used to live in Ann Arbor, so it takes that much longer to visit the people I'm used to visiting. :) So I had quite a few late nights, driving back at 1:30am or 2:30am, and getting up earlyish so I could visit other people or get things done. So I've got some sleep debt on top of the jetlag that I'm experiencing now that I'm back in Cambridge. This morning I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. :) I'm feeling a bit better now, though still tired.
Last night G and I went for a bike ride for me to test my new bike- what a difference the suspension makes! It was so much more comfortable, and combined with the new gel bike gloves I got at REI I felt great instead of in pain after we got back.
My trip back wasn't too eventful- however may I suggest to you all that Newark isn't the best option for a layover? There was too much air traffic going in there, so our flight was delayed in Detroit for over 2 hours, and then we had to wait another 30 min on the tarmac. It only took an hour to get there, but it's not well signed there and I had to ask someone to help me find Continental. The flight was short at least. But I do have a funny story that has a cultural element. When I got to the gate, I saw that there was a line in front of the desk, about 20 people long. Rather than stand in a line without knowing why, I asked the woman at the back of the line, who turned out to be British, why she was standing in the line. She said, " I've no idea- everyone was joining the queue so I did as well." I was a bit surprised- the line was barely moving, and this woman had no idea why she was in it. The man in front of her heard my question, turned around, and he was also British and had no idea why he was in the line either! Well I went and sat down, not too far off, but I heard several other Americans ask what the line was for, and none of them stood in it when they found out that there was no real reason. Now, what did those British folks say to the woman when they got to the front of the line? Why did they stand there for over 30 minutes? They were still standing there when the plane started boarding. Standing in a line is good, if you have a purpose, but just getting into a line when there's no purpose doesn't make sense to me. :)
It's warmed up a bit here today- I think it might even hit 75F! :) I miss the hot Michigan weather already.
No comments:
Post a Comment