Friday, 25 July 2008

July 25, 2008

It's Day 2 for me back in the UK, and I'm feeling better already. It actually hit 80F here today, which was nice for a change. This is the first day I've been able to wear a tank top and shorts in the 1 year that we've been living here! My garden needed a bit of help since I was gone for so long (G kept up with the watering for me so it wouldn't die) and things are already looking better. In other rather mundane news I put lights on G's bike, and transferred my old bike lights to my new bike. Sadly the sun is setting at 9:10pm these days, and although we're able to see until about 10 no more nighttime biking for us. On the flip side though we can sleep better. :) I'm also learning about bike maintenance- since we're wanting to cycle everyday or close to it things get dirtier faster, and the chains need to be cleaned, and the brakes need to be tweaked, etc. I love the new bike- it is so light, and very comfortable. G took some photos of me on it but he hasn't gotten them off the camera just yet.

We don't have any weekend plans, except moving our new bed frame into our bedroom so it'll be ready when the new mattress arrives on Wednesday. But who knows- we never plan very far in advance so we might just decide to go somewhere for the day. I know we won't be going into London because Thursday some old friends of G's are coming into London on a 12 hour layover on the way to Tanzania to do translation work, so we're going in early to do some stuff and then hanging out with them for a bit. They have 4 kids, all under 8, so extra pairs of hands and eyes is helpful on the Underground. :)

I have my photos up onto Phanfare now from my trip to the US. There are still a few on my cell phone camera that will be making their way up there as well. I let my nephew use my big camera again and put his photos on his page. He told his grandma "When I grow up I want to be a photographer." :) I felt very humbled by that. He has a very good natural eye for composition for his age, and I think if he keeps practicing he'll get even better. Maybe he could even take some photo classes from WCC in high school through Michigan's dual enrollment program. Anyway that's a long time off and he's only 8. But when he gets a little bigger I think I'll start commissioning him to photograph family events for me while I'm away. :) If you happen to have a used "prosumer" digital camera (it's a sort of inbetween point and shoot and SLR) that you're willing to part with or sell for a reasonable cost let me know- I'm keeping an eye out for one that he could keep at my parents' house to practice with.

We found this giant beastie in the kitchen last night- G stomped on him but he wasn't really dead (or even injured) he was just faking it. I guess this is why we need those giant house spiders... this thing was over an inch long.

No comments:

Post a Comment