Do you remember way back when you got your first bank account? Remember how they gave you this booklet to teach you how to balance your checkbook, and how to write a check? Well I was harkening back to those days this morning. :) Praise Gd I found our Barclays checkbook (or I should say chequebook here) which, of course, was in a very sensible place- the file folder where I keep all the Barclays stuff. It's been there since we moved, and although we've needed to write checks at least 10 times, we couldn't find it. Today some part of my brain suggested I look in the file folder, and sure enough there it was.
In the US we NEVER use checks. Heck, I don't even use cash either, and haven't for awhile. I use my debit card, which is linked to my bank account. And, true confession time, I don't use those little papers that the bank sends with my account statements which are supposed to help me balance my account. :) Since transactions are same-day now, there's no need for me to use the old system anymore. Those of you who still write each transaction in your checkbook- I hope I'm not being a bad influence or putting peer pressure on you! Certainly keep doing what works best for you.
Anyway, my American habits have come home to roost here in the UK, let me tell you. :) Lots of places don't accept debit cards here- businesses, like the Cattery where Nelly stays when we're out of town, for example. The DVLA, which is the UK driver's licensing bureau. The list goes on. And when you tell them that you don't have a check, they look at you a bit funny. And who carries $200 in cash to pay for transactions? I've had to do all sorts of things, including using the common system of getting their banking account details and sort code and sending the money through the bank. That's quite common fortunately for me. :)
So I found these cheques today, and I needed to write 2 cheques (it looks funny spelling it like that doesn't it? ) :D today to various places. I realized that the last time I wrote one of these was for our first rent payment, and the nice lady at Carter Jonas showed me how to do it. But here I am at home, on my own, with a strange looking "check" in front of me. I decided to go on the internet and see if there were some instructions for these things. Fortunately there are- they are even digital, like a little video, that shows step by step what to do. Take a look here for yourself: http://www.moneymatterstome.co.uk/Interactive-workshops/WritingCheque.htm
A sample UK check (this is a total fake check by the way, curtesy of www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/So my checks are written now, and I have a stack of mail ready to be posted. We're driving up to Norfolk tonight, which is about an hour and half from here, and since the sun sets at 9:40pm or whatever it is these days we should have plenty of time to get settled, walk around, and catch a good sunset over the North Sea.
Thanks for sharing in my joy of finding my chequebook. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment