Friday, 10 October 2008

October 10, 2008 Duxford War Museum


First and foremost let me wish our friend Clare from the Living Proof class a very happy 90th birthday!!!! We have been so blessed to be your friends and we wish we could celebrate your birthday with you!! We're pring for you and lifting you up as you turn 90 that the Ld would continue to bless you and your family.

Today I went with my mom and dad out to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, which was a major air force base during WWII especially. In fact some of our Living Proof friends may even have flown out of Duxford themselves during the war! Can I just say how much I thought of you Living Proof folks as I walked around at Duxford and looked at the WWII planes and read the stories of the people who flew them. I owe so much of my understanding of that time frame to your sharing with us about what life was like during and after the war. Thanks for sharing such valuable experiences with us, we have been so greatly blessed by you! Whereas many people can only read the stories from the war on a plaque at a place like Duxford, we have had the blessing of knowing you all and hearing straight from you what those times were like. I think you should all write novels- you may not realize just how interesting your lives have been, but I know loads of people who would buy them if you wrote about your lives. Those with computers, you should start blogging!!

I really enjoyed Duxford- I enjoyed the old planes, many of which are still operational, and I enjoyed reading the history of them and the stories written by pilots who flew them. I've put a few pictures up here (it's late and I have to get to bed but we're going into London all day tomorrow and I wanted to be sure to get this up in time for the Sunday printing by our wonderful friends who lived during these times and might find it interesting to see photos of planes they flew hanging in a museum- I bet you never thought you'd see the day that war planes would become a tourist attraction. :)



Those of you who were airmen in WWII- know that you are remembered and honored!


Hangar 1 at Duxford, a mix of old and modern planes



I've a horrible memory for plane names...this one was used in WWII.



I love this kind of stories- I could read them all day. If you have stories like this that you haven't told me from your war experiences write them down and send them to me!



Inside a Concorde Test Jet.

A WWI plane


Another view of Hanger 1


A WWI plane



WWII Mosquito



Many planes are being restored to flying condition here.

The American Museum


Inside the museum hanger

A B-52 bomber


A U2 spy plane!


My reflection in the engine of a U2 spy plane


A memorial to the 30,000 US air force personnel who died during WWII flying from the UK.




As I said before, if you have stories from your war service please blog them or write them down for us- we would LOVE to read them!



This is a photo from Willow Run plant, which made bombers during WWII.



No comments:

Post a Comment