Where has the time gone? It seems like my parents just got here, but tomorrow night they're heading into Heathrow to stay the night at the Yotel there so that they can catch their 9am flight easily the next morning. Yotels are a fun little mini hotel that they've started putting into airports which you can rent in 4 hour blocks. It's wonderful for people like us who might end up in an airport overnight. :) Anyway they'll be back in the US Wednesday at noon.
Having my parents here has been great- we always have the best discussions. In fact just now we talked about the plague village of Eyam (they volunteered to quaranteen themselves to prevent the spread of the plague), small pox and how the vaccine developed, and earlier we were all talking about the rise and fall of civilisations and how domesticated animals and crops played into European culture gaining weapons before South American cultures did. Fascinating stuff- I'm so lucky to come from such a smart family!!
We ate dinner again at our local pub, The White Horse. They are so friendly there, it reminds me why I wanted to live in a village. I love village life.
By the way I just realized today is Columbus Day- a day of celebration for some, and I suppose mourning for others, whose ancestors' way of life was destroyed and land stolen by colonisation. It's a good time to think about how we are all accountable one day to the One who created us, and we'll have to tell him what we've done with our lives. Not one of us can stand on our own before a holy and just judge in heaven because we are all imperfect and deserve to experience the just sentence he will deliver. But thankfully he loved us enough to provide a way for that sentence to be transmutted- his own son took our sentence himself so that we could go free. I'm thankful for that today, and the knowledge that that Judge will deal justly with everyone who has done unjust things- injustice won't go unpunished.
Time for bed here in Swavesey- it's been warm and very very nice these past few days, with glorious days of sunshine and cloudless skies...everyone has been encouraged by the weather, and the tree leaves have been so beautiful here. not as beautiful as Michigan, but still lovely. I miss the beautiful colors of the sugar maples in Michigan right now...I hope you're all enjoying the beauty of the fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment