Monday, 17 November 2008

November 17, 2008

You may not be aware that G has 2 cousins who are due on Thanksgiving. Which is coming up fast- next week already! Anyway we have a LOT of friends who are expecting, but when it's family you get all the inside info, maybe some that you didn't want to know. ;) Soon we'll be hearing of contractions, shows, dilation, waters breaking, and birth announcements. G has a large family (his grandmother has 7 children and something like 26 grandchildren and I've forgotten how many great grandchildren) which is overwhelmingly large for me, coming from such a small family myself. I can barely remember all his cousin's names, and I've forgotten most of the cousin's spouses names, and I'm not sure if I ever knew the cousin's children's names. :) Anyway I do know that baby River and baby X will be arriving anytime between now and next week, thanks primarily to Facebook.

After the excitement of Norway Cambridge has seemed a bit dull. It's been cloudy for days, and the sun is setting earlier and earlier and it's now dark at 3:30. If there were mountains around, or snow, like Norway, I think I'd mind the darkness less. But since the shops are closing around 4:30 these days as well, there is simply not much to do outside the house after 4pm, except walk around in the rain and get wet. :) The camera club is affording some new things to do, because I have to mount my prints for the competitions, and I hope they will fare well in the competitions. I'd love to place 1st in at least one, which would give me more exposure and a bit more acknowledgement of my presence at the club meetings. :)

Speaking of photography I'm happy to announce that I had my first purchase via my website from a person that I don't know and am in no way connected to! It was very exciting! I have also officially booked that wedding on July 4th 2009, and am looking around for other weddings to book. Weddings are good money and for me not very stressful since I photograph events all the time. I'm looking for people who don't want a lot of frills, and who are on a budget that is less than what most photographers in Cambridge charge. Most photogs here get 900-1200 pounds for a wedding. Of course with the exchange rate that doesn't seem quite so bad as it has done. :) But anyway that includes a professionally printed book, some prints, 10 hours of shooting, etc. I'm aiming for the market that would like half that price, and half the shooting time, without books or things like that. It's a lot less than I could make, but I don't have demo books or a good solid wedding portfolio to snag the higher end just yet. I will have though if I can convince another person or 2 to let me photo their weddings. :) This one promises well, because it's being held in one of the colleges, which are stunning for photography and make every person who shoots there look like a real pro. :) So business is off and running for me here, and I'm taking small jobs about once a week and continuing to grow.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I'm hoping to learn enough about the business of photography including weddings, portraits, and even running travel trips, to be able to teach that to folks overseas. I've heard that lots of expats like those sorts of things, and it could be a real blessing to them to learn a bit about photography. If I get good at organizing photo travel trips that would just rock- since we intend to live overseas we could bring in groups of photog tourists as a business. By we I mean me primarily. :)

Please keep pring for iBASE that meets Tuesdays, and for Bounce A Round on Wednesday mornings. I'm building good friendships there on Wednesday and am beginning my work on learning Chinese. I love the Chinese ladies there and I always look forward to spending time with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment