Sunday, 12 August 2007

August 12, 2007

Well, still no internet. And no phone. :) British Telecom is dragging their feet getting it taken care of. I really miss everyone and really want to call and talk to everyone so pr that BT will get their act together! I'm here in G's office checking email and stuff like that.


While G has been at work I've been painting our cottage. The people who painted last were really sloppy, and the cottage hadn't been repainted in about 10 years I think. The landlords offered to do it but it would have taken them who knows how long and I wanted to get moved in fast. Plus I enjoy it. :) I love painting- I guess that comes from being what they call here a "DIY" person, coming from a DIY family. :) Since everything's so old here there are tons of interesting glitches in painting- first you have to deal with the 300 year old plaster which develops cracks over time that need to be filled. Then there's the places where "damp" creeps in and turns the walls yellow, and no matter how many times you paint over it it won't go away so you have to get special anti-damp stuff. Then there's the huge gouges that appear from who knows where, that need to be filled in. And of course the places where the paint just falls off the wall. :) In any case I've been learning about using all these products as we've done it in the cottage. I've also been stripping paint off of the painted wood here so we can stain it- there are some cool exposed beams here in the cottage that someone painted over, and I'm going to strip the paint off, sand it, and stain and varnish it.

Today we went to our first car boot sale. The boot is the car trunk- it's called a car boot sale because anyone can just show up before start time and pay the fee, and pull the stuff out of their trunk and sell it there. You have basically the width of your car trunk to sell. There are normal people who bring random stuff, and there are people who make a business out of it, and then there's businesses who have stalls set up. It's sort of like a flea market. They also have vegetable sellers which is awesome, and places that sell food. It's almost as if they picked up the Cambridge city market, multiplied it by 4 and put it into the Park and Ride lot which is where they have it every Sunday. We were pring for a vacuum cleaner- we didn't have one, and vacuums are super expensive here. To get a good quality vacuum runs you $300-400. Of you can buy a cheap not good functioning one for $100. Anyway we found one of the $400 ones for $80 at the car boot sale, and it runs great! Very cool.

Nelly had a little adventure this week- she has always been into investigating things. I've never had such a curious cat as Nelly is. Anyway she's always wanting us to lift her up so she can look on top of things or climb on things. Yesterday she climbed up a tree, onto the wall around our garden, on top of our little shed, and as if that wasn't enough she had been investigating climbing onto the roof (from inside the house looking out) and so from the garden wall she walked out onto the eves of our cottage, climbed up the roof and into the bathroom window! She's a good climber, but still. Anyway she made it back safe and sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment